Qualifications: Early Childhood Education certificate preferred, a minimum of an Educator Assistant Certification.
Preferably certified with Standard First Aid
Must be registered with Provincial Child Care Facility Licensing Board, if applicable. Must be able to clear a criminal record check as required by the Licensing Board.
- The substitute educator is responsible for providing daily care and education for the children enrolled in a program (Pre-school / Toddler / Infant) of Our Children’s Centre Society of Greater Victoria (OCCS) child care centre. The educator will guide the activities of the children ensuring the policies and philosophies of OCCS are implemented and maintained. Develops and maintains co-operative working relationships with the OCCS Board of Directors, manager, facility staff, parents and others as required. Is part of a team striving to provide quality care for children attending Our Children’s Centre.
- Is supervised by, reports to, and is accountable to the Room Senior and Manager within OCCS
- Is available for program support on an on-call basis
- Works with other educators within the programs
- Liaises with program families
COMMON GOALS / DUTIES
- Supervises the activities of children;
- In conjunction with team members, provides a developmentally appropriate program of activities;
- Builds effective, supportive and professional relationships with staff and parents;
- Exemplifies all necessary qualities in problem solving and acceptance of responsibilities;
- Works in partnership with all families, ensuring a clear understanding and / or resolution of concerns regarding Centre activities as they relate to objectives, child development and OCCS policies and philosophies within the program;
- Ensures appropriate care and safety for children, educators, substitutes, students and guests within the program and/or facility. Observes and removes potential hazards, reports all incidents of child abuse to supervisory position and follows organisation’s procedures and government legislation;
- Ensures that adult/child ratios are met according to the Provincial Childcare Facilities Act;
- Acts as a professional role model and resource person for parents, students, colleagues, etc.;
- Assists in housekeeping and maintenance of the facility to ensure that health and safety standards are met;
- Bring forward program issues, questions and/or concerns of staff and/or parents to the senior educator or to the manager as appropriate;
- Liaises with the senior educator on matters related to program operations, administration, facility maintenance, families and co-educators ;
- Performs other related duties similar in scope and complexity.